Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 2 of running. Yes, I might stick to it this time.

We had a thick drizzle this morning and even though I shouldn't have two days in a row I decided to fire up the ol' C25k again because nothing looks cooler than a person running in the rain.  At first the people in cars that drove past saw my acting skills as I made it look like I had been running a really long time.  I wanted them to think I was a dedicated runner who was  either soaked from the rain or her own sacrifice of sweat.  After the performance for the third car I realized how much more energy it was taking to use theatrics so I gave up that quest and no longer cared about the impression I was leaving on people.


My route this time was much more planned than yesterday's aimless jaunt.  My husband showed me his 3 mile route that he has been using. I did really well.  There was one time when my shoe came untied during the "walk" session of the routine, but I cleverly waited for the "run" part before I slowly stooped to tie it. And I did see a screw in the street and selflessly picked it up during another "run" session. (You are welcome to the person whose tire I saved.) I thought I found a penny during yet another "run" session but it was a leaf.  It was interesting and needed further study until my "walk" session began and I had to toss it back to the ground.  I was a little late getting started on the start of the next "run" because it had stopped raining so I had to gaze at the sky for a while to make sure it had actually dried up. That was followed by my next "walk" time being interrupted by an elderly man who was saying something to me.  I took out my earphones and told him that I begged his pardon but I didn't hear what he had said.  He said he was making sure I was okay because I looked like I was going to fall over. I can't be certain, due to the sound of the rushing of blood in my ears, of the tone in which he said it, but I think he was an elderly man with a smart mouth. I'm pretty sure if I would have had the courage to look  back after I passed where he was sitting in his driveway I would have seen him laughing and pointing at me.  My route brought be back in front of his house again so just to spite him I ran hard all the way through another run session. I was too busy looking to see if he was still outside and it was still hazy from the rain so I didn't see the silver car careening over a hill until I was already crossing the street.  It was nowhere close to hitting me as I crossed in front of its path but since I didn't see it to begin with it startled me into a sprint like I've never sprinted before.  I don't want to brag but I think I would have left Secretariat in the dust as I scrambled to the other side of the road.

I can't understand why, but  the program ended after I had covered only about 2 miles.  Since 5K is actually 3.1 miles I see that there could be a problem with the program.  I think it was poor planning on the app writer's part to claim it would train me to run 3 miles and I'm only covering 2.  The program left me on a cool down walk about a mile away from home.  The elderly man who had shown so much concern about my ability to stand had already gone inside so I couldn't ask him for a ride back to the house.  Good thing I still had another Cadbury egg stashed in my kitchen.  It beckoned me home and I will be forever grateful.  It's the simple things in life that make everything worthwhile.  The simplicity of a Cadbury egg and a house that I wasn't locked out of made the rest of my day quite lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment