Monday, February 28, 2011

Souveniers From Our Trip

Technically, it wasn't a "trip." It was a quick back and forth drive back home to visit family. But we were away from our house for one whole night so I will take what I can get.

First of all I brought back these bookmarks. They are cut out of paper thin wood. My dad made them. After a few subtle hints like "You know I read alot, right? And I don't have very many bookmarks." or "So, did you make these to give out to people? You know, people like me who read alot?" and "You gonna give me one or what?" he finally said to go ahead and take one if I wanted it. I took two.

My next find was a genuine Pet Rock from 1975 that I found in a thrift shop. I showed it to my 6 year old nephew who promptly started sneezing. I told him that he must be allergic to the dander that pet rocks had. He didn't get it. And he thought I wasted my money to buy a rock. Kids these days.










My third bring back was an old purse I found at the same thrift store that had the rock. Maybe it was the adrenaline rush from finding a 36 year old pet rock that made me think the purse would clean up nicely. It's pretty nasty looking now that I'm out of the dusty, dimness of the shop.
I had a feeling I should have left it in the store when I showed it to my cousin who tried very hard to hide the motion she made that told me she was afraid to touch the nasty thing. Jason saw it and said that it looked like something that would be in a hoarder's house as he scrubbed down the spot where it had been sitting on our table. So it's going to Salvation Army ASAP. Unless of course you like it. In that case it is a vintage Veldore' handbag that has signs of gentle wear. I will sell for a very reasonable price. Just message me if you'd like to deal.


And that was just about all the money I was willing to spend until we stopped at a gas station on the way back home. Jason went inside first and told the table of Girl Scouts peddling their overpriced cookies that they'd have to ask me. He gave me fair warning when he came back out to the car and I was heading in. I was ready to tell them I had already bought ours this year from girls in our neighborhood. They pulled out their best salesman who was a doe eyed, freckle faced little Brownie in that cute little beret uniform who looked hopefully up into my stern, ready to say,"NO." eyes and said, "You'll buy some cookies, right?" I bought two boxes.

1 comment: